Sunday, April 19, 2009

Do you "love" America?

I want to clarify this statement that I made earlier:
"Today, America has moved toward the idea that those who lead our government are the ones that know what is right or wrong.
"

I don't love America just because I happen to live here. I don't think of myself as patriotic to America no matter what.... I am patriotic because, traditionally, America has stood for things that resound in my soul. There are things that are bigger and more important than just the idea of "America". There is a kingdom that is eternal and in the end it won't matter if you are French, Australian or Cuban. I am patriotic to that kingdom. That kingdom has laws that are already written on our hearts. We know in our hearts that it is wrong to kill or betray, we know in our hearts that it is wrong to steal or even be unkind. We have written laws that uphold what we are already know to be true.

When I said that America has begun to believe that our government are the ones that know right from wrong, I meant that sometimes they try to "create" right and wrong. The abortion issue for instance. I think it is wrong to kill, and the government has said that it is right. Going into debt: I think that is obviously unwise. Feeding the hungry and poor: Now that is something that we can agree on....Going about doing it is a different matter.

My point is that we should be patriotic to America and even love America because it is the only place on this earth that allows us to freely cherish the everlasting kingdom and its values and laws. In America, honor is upheld, love is upheld, kindness is upheld, generosity is upheld. These are laws that are written on our hearts. Does that even make sense? It makes sense in my head but maybe I'm wrong....

No comments:

Post a Comment